Shrimp is the most popular seafood in the United States. In fact, the average person consumes more than four pounds each year with 83 percent of U.S. shrimp coming from the Gulf Coast.
Because of its firm texture and mild flavor, shrimp is actually the perfect substitute when you are looking for an alternative protein. From grilling to serving on salads, incorporating shrimp into your diet is a great way to add some variety and low-calorie nutrition.
The nutrient-rich environment found in the Gulf of Mexico results in high-quality seafood with superior flavor and a variety of essential nutrients. Shrimp is lower in calories than many other protein sources, is low in saturated fat and is a good source of vitamins D, B-12, selenium, iron and zinc, which helps ward off diseases such as heart disease.
Grilling is an excellent option for preparing shrimp because it allows you to experiment with all different kinds of seasonings and flavors, such as this recipe for marinated shrimp that is a unique take on the traditional taco.
Remember that seafood such as fish and shrimp are best grilled over a moderately hot fire and on a surface that has been well oiled or in a barbecue basket. Shrimp is done when the flesh becomes pink, firm and slightly opaque.
Ceviche-Marinated Grilled Gulf Shrimp Tacos
Compliments of Louisiana Seafood Promotion & Marketing Board www.LouisianaSeafood.com
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 cups tomato juice
1 cup chopped red onion
1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
21-25 peeled and deveined jumbo Gulf shrimp
8 corn tortillas
1/2 pound shredded red cabbage
1/4 cup tomato salsa
1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
1) Heat grill or grill pan to high heat.
2) Mix lime juice, cilantro, tomato juice, onion and chili powder in bowl. When fully mixed, add peeled and deveined Gulf shrimp, cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
3) Remove shrimp from marinade and place on hot grill. Cook until shrimp are done, 4-6 minutes. Remove shrimp from grill and place aside.
4) Lay tortillas a few at a time over hot grill until warm, about 20-30 seconds.
5) On each tortilla, place 3 shrimp, shredded cabbage, salsa and sour cream. Fold in half and serve.